Total Pageviews

Thursday, March 8, 2012

How my 11yo describes his life (Asperger's)

Aspies (people living with Asperger Syndrome) are pretty cool. Although we may appear strange, act different, or talk too much, we are not really that different from you. There have been some pretty famous Aspies in history such as Mozart, Sir Isaac Newton, Albert Einstein, and Thomas Edison, to name a few.

The way that I, and other Aspies, see the world is that there is no middle ground (gray area), just foreground and background (black and white). I also look around me and see a bunch of neurotypicals (also known as nypicals) and think most of them are the ones with the differences. One really big difference between nypicals and Aspies such as myself is that you use and understand sarcasm, but I just look at you funny because I don’t understand the tone or inflection of your voice.

I think how you (nypicals) see the world is that you just look around and know how to make friends easily. I also think that when you look at me, or others like me, you probably think, “Why is that kid acting so weird?” Another thing about most nypicals that I’ve met is that you (nypicals) tend to whisper about me behind my back, thinking that I don’t know. Aspies don’t do that because we don’t really have a filter and say exactly what we are thinking with no anticipation of the reactions of others.

Aspies are cool because we brought music, understanding of the planets, physics, and light to the world. Because of how we think (mostly outside the box and looking at the future), we are often the owners or upper management in businesses. Some people even think that Steve Jobs and Bill Gates should be added to the list of famous, influential Aspies!

I hope that I have managed to persuade you to look at me for who I am as a person and not for how I act. I also hope that you will keep this in mind when you meet someone who seems a bit different than you - chances are you may have just met another Aspie.

No comments:

Post a Comment