Total Pageviews

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Homemade laundry soap - 1st attempt

Ok, so I'm getting all into this homemade mindset...not only to save money, but for fun (yes, it kind of is fun...lol).  I was talking to my hubby last night about homemade laundry detergent vs. store bought and he said for me to look into it.  Well...it just so happened that a friend was making up a batch last night while the election results were being posted.  Of course, that lead to discussion and another friend posted that she makes her own as well....I have an HE front loader, but have been assured that they are fine for my machine.

Went to the links these lovely ladies provided and, more because of lack of storage space, opted for the powder version instead of the liquid-gel version.  Off I went to purchase supplies and I called a friend who was also interested in trying this out....we both grated Fels Naphtha and the combined everything else together then divided the final product between the two of us....should give us (according to the blog I got it from) about 4.5 months (lady who posted said she does about 8 loads a week and her last batch made it for 9 months).



We were careful to pour the powders slowly, but still ended up sneezing a bit, however the kitchen smells great.  I was a bit concerned because I have chemical sensitivities and have bought the dye-free and fragrance-free detergents, however, this actually has a light scent that I can tolerate.  Only thing I *really* need to remember is to NOT add this to the detergent dispenser, but directly to the drum of the washer when I do laundry.

Well, first load with this detergent is finished - DSs nasty pre-teen boy clothes...lol.  Time to check the results and get them into the dryer.  Will post after they are all done on if we notice a difference....





No comments:

Post a Comment